COMPRESSION: THE FAST TRACK TO JOINT PAIN RELIEF
I recently came across this compression technique while reading Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett (if you want to move better and feel amazing, there is a link below to buy the book – its worth it, believe me).
What is compression?
Compression involves using a band to push muscle tissues closer together to help improve range of motion (ROM). Additionally, the release of compression also creates a sudden rush of blood into the compressed area, helping to flush out any swelling into the lymphatic system. Once this has happened the swelling will be drained from the body, leaving behind a less swollen, more moveable joint.
How to use voodoo floss to compress an immobile joint
- Start by wrapping the floss approximately one inch below the joint. ALWAYS WRAP TOWARD THE HEART (Bottom up).
- Wrap tightly below the joint, and increase the tension as you go over the joint itself.
- Tuck in the top of the floss underneath the last wrap, so it sits securely.
- Start slowly bending the joint for 2 minutes at a time, focussing on gradually increasing to a full range of motion.
- If at any time the skin below the joint turns ashen, immediately remove the floss to restore blood flow.
- After two minutes, remove floss, assess joint mobility and pain. If it is still immobile, repeat steps for up to 20 minutes.
Here’s a video demonstration to show you how its done:
- I use this technique on a regular basis. As I have hypermobile knees, this is an excellent way to alleviate joint pain, especially after cycling or hard weight training sessions.
- Voodoo floss is a small item to carry around with you, and its a great habit to get into to help you with joint maintenance.
- The same technique can be applied to elbow and shoulder pain.
Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett:
Voodoo Muscle Band Floss
Grenade Foam Roller
To learn more about techniques to achieve your fitness goals, contact James Staring, a leading personal trainer in Clapham, London.
ABOUT JAMES STARING
James Staring is a personal trainer based in Clapham, London. His methods have featured in publications such as Your Fitness, Hello, Healthy, Daily Mail, Closer, and many more. After giving up smoking and entering the fitness industry in 2009, James has focused on his passion to help others transform their health and fitness. However, James is convinced that most people struggle so much more than they need to in an effort to improve their fitness. Through his company, Fit to Last, which he runs with his partner, Ali Page – James has helped hundreds of men and women make small adjustments in their daily habits to transform their fitness and to love how they look and feel.